Fort Vasquez Chapter, NSDAR, is named in memory of Louis Vasquez,
a fur trader, who built a fort south of Platteville, Colorado in
February 1, 1928, Mrs. Nellie Wilkinson was appointed organizing
regent for a new DAR chapter in Brighton. She worked tirelessly
to achieve this and the new Vasquez Chapter was organized on December
28, 1928. The charter was presented to the chapter on January 4th
1929 by Mrs. Justus R. Friedline, Colorado State Regent at the time.
It's interesting to note that our chapter name, "Fort Vasquez" was
actually voted upon by the membership at a later meeting on February
first officers, installed at a luncheon at the Blue Parrot Inn in
Denver on January 4, 1929, were:
Hunter, Vice Regent
Lee Burns, Registrar
F. Counter, Treasurer
Lohmann, Recording Secretary
Maude Leeper, Corresponding Secretary
Beatty Carr, Historian
Ione Hunter, Auditor
charter members included Sophia Martin Massey, Marian Arlene
Carr, Eugena Wilkinson Wittke, Emanuela Ione Rees and Lucinda
Carr Howell Masters.
Our chapter continues to grow and pass on
to others the ideals and objectives of the Daughters of the
American Revolution - Historic Preservation, Promotion of
Education and Patriotic Endeavor.
Members in 1930 (from left), Marian Arlene Carr Woodard, Ruth
Lee Burns, Lettie Winifred Hunter, Nellie Faithy Harris Wilkinson,
Ellise Bateman, Florence Vaught, Marjorie Battey Carr
the years our members have actively participated in volunteer community
work; we have helped at naturalization classes for immigrants, participated
in Red Cross drives and taught first aid, worked at the former Fitzsimmons
Army Hospital and the Veteran's Hospital in Denver, aided displaced
families, donated blood and helped at the blood bank during WWII.
members have assisted the Meals on Wheels program, volunteered at
Platte Valley Medical Center in Brighton, and served as election
judges. Over the years, we have had a number of members who have
proudly represented our chapter while they served as Chairmen of
various committees in the Colorado State Society, NSDAR.
wonderful custom that the chapter began in 1931 and continued
until the mid-1950's was to give a DAR spoon to all first
babies of chapter members and make a quilt for each member
that became a new bride. Trees were planted at each of the
three existing schools in Brighton in 1931. In June 1940,
the chapter placed a monument in the Junior Chamber of Commerce
Park on South Main Street in Brighton. The inscription reads:
to the Pioneer Spirit of our Early Settlers"